Trefriw Woollen Mills
At the Trefriw Woolen Mills you have the opportunity to purchase Welsh bedspreads, tweeds and travelling rugs at the mill where they are woven together with garments, dinner sets and purses made up in their fabrics.
Trefriw Woollen Mills started life as a pandy about 200 years ago. Pandy means “fulling mill” in English and cloth which had been hand woven was brought here. The mill was situated by the fast-flowing river Crafnant in order to use the water to wash the wool and power the water wheels. The water wheels were dismantled about 1900, but we still use the water to turn the turbines which generate electricity to power the mill.
The small garden by the hand spinners cottage contains plants associated with the textile industry:- teasels for brushing the cloth, plants which supply natural fibres such as flax and sisal, and plants which supply natural dyes such as woad and madder.
The woollen mills are in the centre of Trefriw on the B5016 five miles north of Betws-y-Coed and eight miles south of Conwy.